Admissions ID Documentation

Types of Documentation for Admission

For admission to an Alabama Community College System institution, an applicant must present either; (1) one primary form of documentation, or (2) two secondary forms of documentation.

A list of acceptable primary and secondary documentation follows.


  1. Primary forms of documentation:
    • Unexpired Alabama Driver’s License or instruction permit
    • Unexpired Alabama identification card
    • Unexpired U.S. Passport
    • Unexpired U.S. Permanent Resident Card
    • Resident Alien Card – Pre-1997
    • Unexpired Driver’s License or instruction permit from another state or possession that verifies lawful presence, dated 2000 and beyond
    • U.S. Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151) prior to 1978
    • BIA or tribal identification card with photo
  2. If an applicant cannot present primary documentation, he/she must provide two secondary forms of documentation, one of which must be a photo identification card. In addition, to the photo identification card, an applicant must present one of the following:
    • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
    • Social Security Card
    • Certified copy of a U.S. Birth Certificate or a U.S. State Department Certificate of Birth Abroad
    • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
    • U.S. Military ID Card (active duty, reserve, retired)
    • U.S. Military Dependent ID Card
    • U.S. armed forces driver’s license
    • Legal guardian affidavit
    • Selective service card
    • W-2 form
    • U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs card
    • Concealed weapons permit
    • Medical insurance ID card (including AHCCCS ID card)
    • Professional license
    • Bank card
    • Credit card
    • Employee ID badge (with photo)
    • School ID (with photo)
    • Marriage certificate issued in any U.S. state, territory or possession
    • Certified letter of identification for a ward of the court, issued by a court or government agency in the U.S.
    • Documents from a court record (certified copy)
      • Divorce decree
      • Adoption decree
      • Name change decree
      • Bankruptcy decree
      • Emancipation decree
    • BIA or tribal affidavit of birth or certificate of Indian blood
    • USCIS I94 or I94A form
    • USCIS employment authorization document (I688A, I-688B, I-766)
    • U.S. military DD-214
    • U.S. travel document (mint green cover) endorsed with Permit to re-enter (Form I327 or refugee travel document Form I-571)
    • U.S. application for voluntary departure under the family unity program (Form I-797)
    • U.S. temporary resident card (Form I-688)
    • U.S. notice of approval to apply for permanent residents (Form I-171 or I-463)
    • Other documentation issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services; or, documentation presenting a status permitted under 8U.S. code § 1621 and 1641