Bucs Mail Policies
SHELTON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Policy No: 210-21
Effective Date: February 25, 2008
Coverage: Faculty, Staff, and Students
Policy Title: Student Email Policy
1. Shelton State Community College Employee Handbook, 2008
2. Shelton State Community College Student Handbook, section on Policies and Procedures
All students who are or have been registered for classes at Shelton State Community College are provided an email account. Students who are currently registered must have an email account. Electronic mail is the official method of communication for delivery of information. Shelton State designated communicators may use this email account to send official communications to the student body. Student email addresses will be recorded in the college’s electronic directories and records.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the President or appropriate Deans.
Email Assignments and Maintenance: The Windows Live I.D (username) is created using the first initial of the first name, the last name, and the last four digits of the student’s college I.D. number. The address will be email@example.com. The Administrative Computing Services will be responsible for maintenance of said email accounts.
The student email account will initially be set up using the student’s birthday (mmddyyyy) as the password. Each student will then be required to change the initial password. The student’s new password will not be retained by the College. The new password will be maintained by Microsoft. The Microsoft Help Desk will be responsible for technical support issues. It will be the student’s responsibility to keep passwords private.
Campus-wide distribution is limited to the following persons:
- The President or Designee
- Dean of Academic Services or Designee
- Dean of Technical Services or Designee
- Dean of Student Services or Designee
- College: Faculty shall use college issued email addresses to share files and information and communicate with students.
- The college will provide varied and limited access to computers with Internet capabilities while students are on campus.
- The college will not lease or sell student email addresses.
- Student: Students shall use college issued email addresses to share files and ideas and to communicate with other students and college personnel.
- Students bear the responsibility to read official college notices at least twice per week and respond (if required).
- Students bear the responsibility to comply with all appropriate use of email in accordance with the college’s policies and procedures located in the Shelton State Student Handbook and the Standard College Policies located on the Shelton State website: sheltonstate.edu.
Appropriate Use of Email: All use of email will be consistent with other Shelton State policies including Shelton State Computer Resource Use Policy (Student Handbook pp. 169-171).
Prohibited Activities: All prohibited activities will be reported to the Dean of Student Services. Prohibited activities infringe on the rights of other email users. It includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Illegal, fraudulent, or malicious activities
- Sensitive or confidential information
- Obscene, offensive, or defamatory material
- Chain letters or “mail bombs”
- Hoaxes or scams
- False warnings
- Mass mailings
- Political view points
- Surveys not sanctioned by Shelton State
- Harassing or annoying activities
- Offers to buy or sell goods or services
Policy Violations: All policy violations will be reported to the Dean of Student Services. Any violations or misuse of Shelton States email is subject to penalty including, but not limited to suspension from email use, banning from email use, suspension from Shelton State or expulsion from Shelton State and /or civil and criminal prosecution.
Legal Issues: Shelton State seeks to legally enforce policies regarding harassment, privacy, and copyright issues as set forth by applicable Federal and State laws.
- “The College and the Alabama State Board of Education are committed to providing both employment and educational environments free of harassment or discrimination related to an individual’s race, color, gender, national origin, age, or disability. Such harassment is a violation of State Board of Education policy. Any practice or behavior that constitutes harassing or discrimination will not be tolerated on any campus or site, or in any division, or department by any employee, student, agent, or non employee, on any institution’s property and while engaged in any institutionally sponsored activities.” (Standard College Policies)
- There is no guarantee of personal privacy or confidentiality for documents and messages stored on the College’s equipment or systems. Users of email services must be aware that even if they discard copies of e-mails, there may be a back-up copy that can be retrieved. Government officials and the companies that own the media on which email is implemented have the right to read email. Information that falls under The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) should not be sent through the College e-mail system.
- “The College makes every effort to comply with the provisions of the U.S. Copyright Act, section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976. (Standard College Policies). “The College disclaims any liability or responsibility for copyright infringement by a user. Such responsibility shall lie solely with the user.” (Student Handbook p.g. 169-171)
RATIONALE: The College supports the opportunity for faculty, staff, and students to communicate through an email system. This policy strives to ensure that all persons understand and comply with the applicable laws, policies, and procedures.
Mark A. Heinrich, Ph. D.