FAQ's for Getting Started

General Information

What kind of college is SSCC?
Shelton State Community College is a broad-based institution with general education and technical/occupational programs. Because of its outstanding art, music, and theater programs, Shelton State has been named Alabama’s Community College of the Fine Arts. The C.A. Fredd Campus of Shelton State, designated as one of the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities, plays a special role in extending the operations and activities of Shelton State to West Alabama’s culturally diverse population.
Is Shelton State Community College accredited?
Shelton State Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and the Associate in Applied Science degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Shelton State Community College. http://www.sacscoc.org/. Please do not contact the Commission with other questions unless there is evidence that appears to support Shelton State Community College's significant non-compliance with the Commission's accreditation requirements or standards.
Contact information for the Commission on Colleges is provided to allow interested constituents to: (1) learn about the accreditation status of the institution, (2) file a third-party comment at the time of the institution’s decennial review, or (3) file a complaint against the institution for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement. Normal inquiries about the institution, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, and educational support services, should be addressed directly to Shelton State Community College and not to the Commission’s office.
What are the names of the two campuses of Shelton State Community College?

The Martin Campus is located at 9500 Old Greensboro Rd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405. The C.A. Fredd Campus is located at 3401 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401.


How do I apply for admission?
You can complete an Application for Admission form and return the form to the Office of Admissions and Records on the Martin Campus or visit www.sheltonstate.edu for an online application.
Is there an application deadline?
Yes. Although Shelton State is an open admission college with a rolling application process, there is a deadline for first-time freshmen. This deadline is approximately one to two weeks prior to the semester beginning. Please check the College’s academic calendar for application deadlines. Students are encouraged to apply for admission as early as possible. While applications are accepted near the close of registration for any term, students who apply earlier have opportunities to register sooner and have greater flexibility in scheduling and planning. High school students are encouraged to apply during their senior year prior to applying for scholarships or financial aid.
Is an application fee required?
No, Shelton State does not require an application fee.
How long does it take to process an application and when will the acceptance letter be mailed?
The Office of Admissions and Records will contact you by email within 48 hours of receiving your application. Once all application documents (application, signature page if needed, photo ID) have been received by the, acceptance letters will be mailed.  
What materials must be submitted to properly file an application with Shelton State Community College?
All students must complete the Application for Admission and present either: (1) one primary form of documentation, or (2) two secondary forms of documentation. Applicants must submit the documentation in person or through a notarized copy by U.S. Mail to the Office of Admissions and Records.
For all other questions regarding admissions, contact the Office of Admissions and Records by calling 877.211.SSCC, 205.391.2214, or admissions@sheltonstate.edu
Will Shelton State accept the General Education Diploma (GED)?
Yes, Shelton State will accept the General Education Diploma. Applicants who hold the General Educational Development (GED) must have an official GED transcript sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Records from the test site or the Alabama State Department of Education.
For more information about GED classes, contact the Office of Adult Education at 205.391.2662.
What if I hold an Alabama Occupational Diploma?
Applicants who have received an Alabama Occupational Diploma should request that the high school mail an official transcript directly to the Office of Admissions and Records. AOD students who are admitted as an Ability to Benefit student, but may enroll in any college credit course if they complete the ACT with a composite score of 16.
What if I did not graduate from high school?
Applicants who have neither a high school diploma nor completed high school and who have not earned a GED certificate should refer to the Ability to Benefit (ATB) requirements for admissions.
Does Shelton State require a minimum ACT/SAT for admission?

No. Shelton State does not require a minimum ACT/SAT score entrance for admission. However, you may be required to take a Compass placement test prior to registering for classes. In most cases, if you have a recent ACT score of 20 or more on the Math and/or English sections, you are exempt from those portions of the placement test. This test is used as an assessment tool to help you begin your writing, reading, and mathematics courses at the appropriate level of difficulty based on your current academic skills. The test requirement may be waived for transfer students or transient students who have already completed freshman composition or pre-calculus algebra. Compass is not necessary for programs that do not require writing and math courses.
For all other questions regarding testing for ATB and Compass should contact the Advising Center by calling 877.211.SSCC or 205.391.2232.


What academic and technical programs does Shelton State offer?
Shelton State offers an Associates of Arts, Associates of Science or Associate in Applied Sciences degrees. You can receive an Associate in Science or Arts degree for most general four-year majors. Most students pursuing this degree are in a transferrable program and are seeking a four-year degree. Shelton State also offers a number of associate in applied science degree programs (two-year) and some certificate and technical programs. (Refer to the catalog for a complete listing.)
Is Shelton State on quarters or semester terms?
Shelton State is on the semester system which includes: (Fall) August, (Spring) January, and Summer usually beginning in late May.
How many hours are considered to be full-time?
A full time student at Shelton State is registered for at least 12 credit hours per semester.
What classes do I have to take?
Requirements for each degree or certificate are listed in the Shelton State Catalog and Student Handbook, which may also be accessed online.
How can I get a copy of the college catalog?
You can view the catalog online, request a copy by calling 205.391.2232, or visit either campus.
Where can I find a list of classes currently offered?
Paper copies of the schedule of classes are usually available three (3) weeks prior to registration. We recommend you view the schedule in real-time on the college website.
Can I get help in selecting courses?
Shelton State offers academic advising through the Advising Center on the Martin Campus and on the Fredd Campus. It is strongly recommended that you get assistance every semester on specific advising days. These days coincide with the opening of web registration.
Is it possible to work class schedules around a full-time job?
Yes. Shelton State offers classes from 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. For your convenience, you can also enroll in online courses. Please see the website for the requirements for online/eLearning opportunities.
How do I change my PIN/Password?
You can change your SSCC pin/password or if you have forgotten your PIN/password by contacting the Office of Admissions and Records. (This PIN/password is different from one you may have for financial aid (FAFSA).

Financial Aid

How do I apply for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)?
First, make sure your application file is complete with the Office of Admissions and Records . Financial Aid awards may not be accessed or applied toward tuition costs until the application file is complete.
Second, make sure your program of study is eligible to be paid by your financial aid.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which may be completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
For all other questions regarding Financial Aid, contact the Financial Aid Office by calling 877.211.SSCC or 205.391.2218.
What is Shelton State’s Financial Aid School Code?
The financial aid school code is 005691.
Are jobs available on campus?
Shelton State participates in the Federal Work Study program which provides part time employment for students who demonstrate financial need based on FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) results.
How much does it cost to attend Shelton State?
Students who wish to enroll full time (12 credit hours) should expect an estimate of tuition and fees only to be approximately $1,248 for in-state students.  Books are not included. For more complete tuition and fees, please refer to catalog.
Does Shelton State charge out of state tuition?
Yes. Shelton State charges out of state tuition. Students who wish to enroll full time (12 credit hours) should expect an estimate of tuition and fees only to be approximately $2,268 for out of state students.  Books are not included. For more complete tuition and fees, please refer to catalog.
Does Shelton State offer scholarships?
Yes. Shelton State does offer scholarships. A complete listing of scholarships are available on the College website.


How do I contact an advisor?
Advising is available Monday-Thursday from 7:30 a.m until 6:00 p.m. and Fridays 8:00 a.m. until 12 noon. You can visit an advisor in his/her office or contact an advisor via e-mail or telephone.
How can I make sure I will not have trouble transferring my credits?
Transferring to in-state or out-of-state four-year institutions is typically no problem if you consult an advisor each semester. You can find excellent transfer information specifically designed for students planning to transfer from Alabama's two-year colleges to Alabama's four-year institutions by visiting STARS. Students transferring out of state are highly encouraged to talk with an advisor at the college/university of your choice.
How do I get a copy of my transcript?
You can visit the Office of Admissions and Records and request a copy of your transcript. Be prepared to show a picture ID. If a visit to the campus is not possible, you can send a written request that includes your name, student number, date of birth, dates of attendance, a daytime telephone number, and where to send the transcript. The letter must be signed by you in order for the request to be processed.
Will courses that I took previously at Shelton still count even if I attended years ago?
Yes. Core curriculum classes are good for an indefinite number of years at Shelton State.
When and how do I register for classes?
Students register online. Please refer to the schedule of classes or College’s website for more information. You are encouraged to see your advisor before you register. First semester freshmen will register for classes at their START-UP Day or at on-site registration.
Do I have to see an advisor in order to register?
We strongly recommend that you speak with an advisor each semester before registering.
Why can’t I register from some classes?

Some students are restricted from taking classes because they may not have met the minimum prerequisites for that particular course.
If I am on academic suspension how do I register?
Refer to the College Catalog to fully understand your academic status. If you wish to apply for re-admission to the college, please contact Kevin Windham at 205.391.2469 or kwindham@sheltonstate.edu.
How can I set up an appointment to see my instructor?
Once you have enrolled, your syllabus will give you information about how to contact your instructors and when they are available.